CO is a colourless, odourless and tasteless poisonous gas produced from the incomplete combustion of carbon based fuels which include gas, oil, wood and coal. You cannot see CO, you cannot taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly claiming in excess of 40 people’s lives a year with over 200 hospital admissions attributed to CO poisoning in the UK alone.
You need to ensure that all stoves, open fires and carbon based fuel heating appliances are correctly installed and regularly maintained. Cookers, heaters and central heating boilers are the most common source of CO poisoning. We recommend the installation of a correctly sited CO detector in any room where there is a fire, stove or heating appliance. In the section you will find guidance on how prevent and identify the early signs of CO poisoning and what to do if you suspect CO poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide The Silent Killer
Be Safe and Check it Out
Building Regs & Requirements
Alarms & Sensors
Gas Safety Week 2015
Gas Safety Week 2014
Gas Safety Week 2013