How to Prevent a Hazard in Your Home, Chimney Safety Advice

What a lot of sadness lately that has been dominating the news. How to Prevent a Hazard in Your Home Chimney Safety AdviceWith the horrific Fire at Grenfell Tower in North London last month, it shows what a very real danger Fire is, not only to ourselves, but to our loved ones and our homes.

I have of late been a lot more fire safety aware following my recent trip to Honeywell and speaking with the team there about the range of fire alarms and the various types of fires that can occur in our homes. But for this to then be followed by such awful images and harrowing stories coming via the media from the site at Grenfell Tower, well it has really struck a nerve.

It is astonishing how quickly and randomly these things can happen and what truly devastating effects it can have. Gosh, I can’t even begin to imagine!

I rest assured that we are fully alarmed up in our house and usually with a reminder via social media for #TestItTuesday I test them regularly, admittedly not every Tuesday, but I do like the reminders non-the less.

My Children most enjoy assisting with testing our CO alarm in the Living room and on a regular basis can be found climbing up and removing it off the shelf where it currently lives and pressing the button to set off the test alarm. As you can imagine they love it.

It is on my to do list before the burning season gets underway to make some time to service my own stove and fit the CO alarm to the wall, out of reach of little hands.

In brighter news (those who know me will already be fully aware) I have recently returned and just about recovered from the most Amazing trip to Glastonbury! What an unbelievable place, we really did have the very best of times.

How to Prevent a Hazard in Your Home Chimney Safety Advice 2Along with Tom and some of our very good friends we spent 5 amazing days at the world-famous Glastonbury music festival, listening to world-famous artist, and contending with world-famous Toilets! As well as walking miles and miles and experiencing every type of weather the great British summer has to offer, we also Camped!

Thankfully there was no Mud this year, so camping in the fields was really rather nice. We managed to find a quieter spot in amongst the miles and miles of campers. It was just like a sea of tents as far as the eye could see, an amazing site.

What I was very impressed to notice where lots of signs alerting people to the dangers of fire risks when camping and lots of manned fire marshal points, these reminded me a lot of lifeguards, sat high up upon their viewing platforms, keeping a watchful eye, just in case of any fire out brakes in amongst the sprawling mass of tents. The whole set up was all very impressive and well managed. Well done Glastonbury.

Because we were camping I decided to take along with us our own CO Alarm from home as I am all very aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in tents from such things as BBQ’s, camping stoves, etc. I of course would not dream of using any of these in the tent, but you never know what the person in the tent next-door is stupid enough to do! So, I was working on the theory of better safe than sorry!

At Glastonbury, the CO message was well promoted, with good informative posters posted all over the site courtesy of Devon and Somerset Fire and rescue.

I always remember a few years ago now, I was shocked and stunned to see in one of my daughters very famous children’s books, the main rabbit character in a tent, with a gas cooking stove… Oh dear! She has since, from an early age been taught that in no uncertain terms do you ever use a camping stove in a tent!

Back down to earth with a bump and back to work following Glastonbury.

For at least the first week the only way I found to re adjust back in to normal civilization was to play all the festival songs How to Prevent a Hazard in Your Home Chimney Safety Advice 2exceedingly loudly whilst driving from job to job in my sweep van, singing and steering wheel tapping with my sunglasses on. I am not entirely sure what passers-by swill have made of this?... let alone my customers when I pulled up/Rocked up.

Typically, the first few days back were full of nightmare awkward chimneys, several of them been dangerous, one in particular was potentially very dangerous. The warning notices seemed to be flying out of the van that day.

With Wooden lintels exposed within the chimney breasts above the register plate, logs stacked up against stoves in amongst other things. All the customers were informed of the dangers, I issued the relevant warning Notices, and the customers were in full acceptances and agreement that the issues needed sorting out and agreed to do so before re-using the appliance.

This was all fine bar one customer… there’s always one!

I won’t go in to too much detail but with charred wooden cladding up against the flue pipe of an oil appliance being an obvious immediate potential fire risk if re lit, and even with my very clear warnings of what could potentially happen, my customer was really not that interested, and was quite adamant that the appliance would be re lit when I left, even though it had the potential to burn the house down. Shocking.

Thankfully with the assistance of NACE I believe this issue is now in the process of being dealt with by LABC, the consumer has now received a formal letter warning her of an enforcement notice to remove if compliance is not adhered to. I just hate to think what could have happened otherwise.

From avoiding one disaster to running straight in to another. It is with great sadness our super sweep receptionist Alison will be leaving the Katie Sweep team this month. Definitely tears all round. Although Alison will be dearly missed we look forward to finding out who will follow in her footsteps. I have received a great response to the job advertisement, so let’s see what the rest of the month brings.
Something good I hope:)

P.S Please do all remember to check your Alarms, Stay safe sweep fans x


"We hope you enjoyed this article. Please share your, tips, questions and comments below"



Fields with * are required.