Why use a Registered Competent Person Scheme Installer ?

fireplace.co.uk Why use a Registered Competent Person Scheme Installer ?

At Fireplace.co.uk we recommend you engage a suitably qualified technician or tradesmen or woman who belongs to the appropriate Competent Persons Scheme to undertake any work you are considering have done. This not only ensures the job is done properly to the correct and relevant standards but will save you the headache of dealing with  Local Authority red tape and the additional exspense of a Local Authority Building Compliance inspection. 

blog-competent person scheme - competent person logo

An installer or contractor who is registered with one of the Competent Person Schemes, such as regulated by  HETAS, OFTEC, Gas Safe and Electrical Safety Register will be qualified to carry out the work required and meet the relevant Building Regulation standards. You will also be relieved to hear you will not have to deal with the red tape of building notifications often required before the commencement of the work or having to deal with any subsequent Local Authority building inspectors. You can also feel confident if the worst case scenario arises you will have access to and the support of an insurance backed complaints procedures. 


An installer registered with a Competent Persons Scheme is duty bound to notify, on your behalf,  the Local Authority of the work carried out and issue you with the relevant Certificate of Compliance upon completion of the work. This notification and Certificate of Compliance will also show up on a solicitor's Local Authority Search if you ever decide to sell your home  


If you do decide to use a non registered Competent Person Scheme installer you will have to a submit a building notice and possibly a full planning application before any work can start and pay a fee for Building Control to carry out an inspection after the work has been completed.


Now lets turn our attention to the types of work which requires a building notice, planning application and a Building Control Inspection. Please note this is not a definitive list but is to be used as a guide . For some types of work marked with * you may need to notify the Local Authority under certain circumstances, if you are in doubt at all  then please speak to your Local Authority Building Control Department.


  • Any replacement or installation of a new heating system or boiler, regardless of fuel type. 

  • Installation or replacement of an oil storage tank

  • installation, replacement of chimney or flues 

  • Installation of fixed air conditioning 

  • Installation of new radiators to a heating system*


Click Link for further information of  When to use a Registred Competent Person Scheme Installer?



We at Fireplace.co.uk always recommend that you engage a suitably qualified technician or tradesmen or woman to undertake any work you a considering have done. Always  CHECK their ID card and the list of competencies often found on the back of the card, ensure  the card is in date, and it is the person in the photo image in front of you ( for  ID checks click here HETAS, Gas Safe, OFTEC). To find a registered fireplace.co.uk technician, tradesman or woman click on the appropriate logo set out below, select the service required and enter your post code. 


 blog-compentent persons- fp fireplace installer logo


 blog- when to use conmpetent person- fp gas engineer logo

    blog-compentent person-fp  heating and plumbing logoblog- competent person-fp oil technician logo


 blog-competent person-fp solid fuel engineer logo



 By Phil Cleaver


Fields with * are required.