Although the Heating and Testing and Approval Scheme, more commonly know by its acronym HETAS, is officially recognised by the Government’s through DEFRA and the DCLG it is the UK’s only truly independent organisation for the testing and approval of domestic solid fuel heating appliances, fuels and associated equipment and services. It includes within its remit the promotion of the safe and efficient use of mineral solid fuel, wood and bio-mass fuels.
HETAS list amongst its objectives to:
- Promote, monitor and strive for the continuous improvement in the safe installation and use of solid fuel appliances, systems, chimneys & flues, and their maintenance.
- Encourage the continual improvement of products and to promote high standards of quality, design, safety and efficiency.
- Lead the industry by introducing, updating, & maintaining industry wide uniform standards of education & training across all sectors and at all levels to secure the safe and efficient installation and use of solid fuels, systems, & appliances.
- Work with stakeholders and in association with the wider industry and its customers to promote the means & benefits of achieving the safe and efficient use of solid fuels through the raising of industry standards & encouraging the provision of advice and guidance available to solid fuel users.
- Influence legislation, regulations & policies at the national & international levels that affect the use of solid fuel and solid fuel appliances, systems and related products and services.
- Ensure HETAS is seen as offering an understandable and secure route through safety standards and the relevant regulation in support of its organisational purpose and objectives.
HETAS through its association and approval by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG), as the statutory instrument is authorised to run a Competent Persons Self -Certification Scheme for the installation of wood, biomass and mineral solid fuel appliances and systems. All installations of biomass, wood and solid fuel appliances and systems are subject to Building Control Regulations with the legal duty of Local Authority Notification and Inspection by the Local Authority of any work carried out. HETAS registered installers are authorised with the licence to self certificate their own work and are duty bound to notify the relevant authorities. This allows the home owner to avoid the time consuming and often very costly Building Notice Application and Inspection by the local Building Control Department. The HETAS registered installer will leave you, the customer, with a Compliance Certificate ensuring that all work has been carried out to the required Building Standards and Regulations and forward a copy to HETAS who in turn will forward a copy to the relevant Local Authority.
HETAS in conjunction with the Solid Fuel Association provides a fuel testing scheme for solid mineral fuels and works in association with WoodSure in relation to biomass fuels-logs and pellets to ensure the provision of good quality fuels. The use of high quality solid mineral fuels and using the right fuel for the appliance is essential for the safe and efficient use of both solid fuel and biomass fuel -logs or pellets. Their fuel accreditation scheme guarantees that the fuels carrying the HETAS endorsement have undergone certification and meet the relevant standards and are appropriate to the customers’ appliance.
A good chimney is essential to the efficient and safe operation of all solid fuel burning heating and cooking appliances. HETAS recommends that chimney sweeping is best carried out at least once a year and quarterly during the season if burning wood or bituminous coal. All HETAS approved sweeps are registered members of one of three or more of the chimney sweep trade associations the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps, the National Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps, or the National Association of Chimney Sweeps and in addition have attended a HETAS training course.
HETAS also list chimney and flue products which are suitable for use with solid fuel burning equipment and operate a retail scheme where at least one member of a businesses showroom staff is accredited by HETAS.
For a comprhensive list of Solid Fuel, Fireplace, and Stove Engineers for installations and servicing, Chimney Sweeps, Solid Fuel and Biomass Fuel Suppliers and Retail Showrooms in your area please click the appropriate image below and select the type of service you require.
We hope you have found this article both informative and useful. To find further articles and services which may be helpful to you please visit fireplace.co.uk Knowledge Hub
Thanks from all at
Latest News from HETAS
HETAS Live 2016
This September marks the return of the HETAS Live! roadshow. Back by popular demand, the events are free to attend and offer expert advice and interactive learning sessions for industry professionals.
Open to installers, chimney sweeps, retailers, specifiers, architects and local authority building control officers these events provide a great opportunity to meet the HETAS team, centre hosts, get a tour of the training facilities and to take part in a Q & A session and interactive discussions with HETAS Technical & Training Manager Mike Harvey.
Running from September to October, HETAS Live! will be hosted by HETAS approved training centres up and down the country. Friday 9th September, Kiwa: Malvern View Business Park, Stella Way, Bishops Cleeve, Cheltenham, GL52 7DQ
Thursday 22nd September, Centre for Alternative Technology: Llwyngwern Quarry, Pantperthog, Machnlleth, SY20 9AZ
Thursday 13th October, Thermal Earth: Hendre Industrial Estate, Capel, Ammanford, SA18 3SJ
To register for the events please visit: www.hetas.co.uk/live